Walking through the valley..


 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." Psalm 23:4

Have you ever observed a kid being thrown high in the air by a parent? It's one of the amazing and carefree things in life. The look on such a kid’s face; it is not one of fear but of pure pleasure. Why? For one, that kid knows without a shadow of doubt that no matter how high he is thrown, strong and welcoming hands are there to catch him so he will not fall. This is pure unadulterated trust. Full of innocence.

God promises to be with us regardless of the circumstances we find ourselves in. Whether we are happy or sad, going through our greatest achievements or at our lowest. His word is simple. “I will be with you”. The psalmist David knew of this and had the assurance in God so he said even when he walked through the valleys”

Have you ever wondered what it is like in the “valley of the shadow of death?” It doesn’t sound like a fun place to be. The shadow of death implies a situation where death looms over you, but it might not result in actual death. Therefore, a situation of grave danger, such as a war zone, car crash, or industrial accident could all be considered as the shadow of death, even if you emerge unscathed. I can relate to that.

In my previous post “Before the word becomes flesh..”, when I spoke about my insecurities and my hopes I didn't talk about the valleys of shadow of death I had to walk through.

Have you heard of “zika virus”? Yeah apparently the year 2015 introduced a new virus. As if the ebola and other virus currently present were not enough. I never bothered about those viruses except this particular one Zika. Why? Well for starters. I am currently living in a country that has actual reported case of about 4500. The virus is deadliest on pregnant women and their unborn babies. It is carried by a mosquito and yes I was bitten by quiet a few at the beginning of the pregnancy (imagine my fear when research revealed it is most deadly at the beginning of pregnancy” Most symptoms are not shown by the pregnant woman because its assumed to be all pregnancy related until the baby is born and then it is evident in the child. There is no cure and no vaccine. This much sums up my valley of the shadow of death. Deadly virus, no vaccine, no cure!

This situation reminded me of two events in the bible that surrounded the birth of a child that the enemy did not want on earth. The birth of the prophet Moses and the birth of Jesus. On both occasions children were killed. What is a believer to do in situations like this? 

Psalm 91

1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High

    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.[a]

2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,

    my God, in whom I trust.”

3 Surely he will save you

    from the fowler’s snare

    and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers,

    and under his wings you will find refuge;

    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night,

    nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,

    nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,

    ten thousand at your right hand,

    but it will not come near you.

8 You will only observe with your eyes

    and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”

    and you make the Most High your dwelling,

10 no harm will overtake you,

    no disaster will come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you

    to guard you in all your ways;

12 they will lift you up in their hands,

    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;

    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 “Because he[b] loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;

    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;

    I will be with him in trouble,

    I will deliver him and honor him.

16 With long life I will satisfy him

    and show him my salvation.”

I took the above word literally as it is and walked day by day with this knowledge that the Lord will cover his own. It is not that the other children affected were not important or were not the Lord's children but rather that I had placed my confidence in the one who cannot fail.

You might be walking through your valley this very hour of your life but rest assured, if only you will put your trust in Elohim, He will carry you through. And you will come out with victory

Comments

Popular Posts